The ICF Mentor Coach:
- Is trustworthy and has the ability to connect with the mentee in terms of fit, chemistry and compatibility.
- Is someone who encourages the mentee to reach beyond what the mentee initially feels is possible, assisting in broadening their creative process.
- Demonstrates equal partnership by being open, vulnerable and willing to take appropriate risks, for example, in providing feedback that may make one or both individuals uncomfortable.
- Understands and is able to model the value of partnership and, as an example, allows/encourages the mentee to lead in designing areas to be worked on between sessions that will lead to more powerful, leveraged coaching.
- Has the ability to be supportive and authentic in celebrating who the mentee is, her/his achievements and growth throughout the process.
- Is secure in their own work and is able to demonstrate appreciation and respect for the unique style of each mentee.
- Encourages the development of the mentee’s own coaching style
- Is willing to hold both self and mentee accountable for performance and to periodically encourage mutual assessment of the effectiveness of the relationship